Phillip’s practice specializes in bankruptcy, receivership, creditors’ rights, commercial loan workouts, as well as complex commercial litigation. Phillip has broad experience representing parties in all manners of insolvency cases. As part of his creditors’ rights practice, Phillip has represented financial institutions, corporations and governmental entities in complex workouts, bankruptcies, receiverships, state and federal court litigation, and judgment enforcement. Phillip has also represented large corporate debtors in chapter 11 bankruptcies, chapter 7 bankruptcies, receiverships, and outside of court debt restructuring. In addition to creditor and debtor work, Phillip is frequently retained to represent court-appointed bankruptcy trustees and receivers in evaluating, and pursuing, litigation assets, and has been appointed by various state courts and the United States District Court for the Middle District of Tennessee to serve as receiver of assets. The breadth of Phillip’s experience (from creditor to debtor to trustee) enables him to examine complex legal problems from all angles and craft legal strategies and solutions that are the most effective and efficient for his clients.
Prior to joining Thompson Burton, Phillip was an associate at Bass, Berry & Sims PLC (2000 – 2008) and a founding member of Garfinkle, McLemore & Young, PLLC.
Phillip is very active in the community in Columbia, Tennessee, where he lives with his wife Brandy and their two sons, Phillip III and Derek. Phillip has previously served as Chairman of the board of directors of Columbia Academy, a K-12 private school with campuses in Columbia and Spring Hill. He has combined his passion for Columbia Academy with his passion for youth football by coaching and serving on the board of directors for the Columbia Academy Youth Football League (in which both of his sons have played). Phillip also previously served on the board of Nashville Christian School, Main Street Columbia, and the Mid-South Commercial Law Institute.
In his free time, Phillip enjoys attending his sons’ fine arts performances, restoring his historic home, and attending college and NFL football games. Phillip is a member of the West 7th Street Church of Christ in Columbia, where he frequently leads Bible studies for college students and young families.
Phillip earned his J.D. from Vanderbilt University School of Law (’00), and a B.A. from Harding University (’95). Phillip has been recognized as a “Rising Star” by Super Lawyers Magazine, and as “A Best Lawyer” by The Best Lawyers in America. Phillip is also a member of the board of directors for the Mid-South Commercial Law Institute, where he served for many years as the chairman of the program committee and is a member of the American Bankruptcy Institute.
• Vanderbilt University School of Law, J.D., 2000
• Harding University, B.A, magna cum laude, 1995
• Served as Chapter 11 debtor’s counsel for some of the largest Chapter 11 cases in the history of the Middle District of Tennessee, including Service Merchandise Company, Inc., Murray, Inc. and Regal Cinemas, Inc.
• Filed, prosecuted and resolved well over 1,000 adversary proceedings on behalf of trustees and debtors-in-possession in bankruptcy
• Represented financial institutions, private note holders, government agencies, corporate debtors, and individual guarantors in the workout or restructuring of large commercial debts throughout the nation
• Represented receivers appointed by state and federal authorities in unraveling and prosecuting Ponzi schemes
• Appointed by the federal court to serve as receiver for the maintenance and liquidation of real estate valued at over $20 million
• Served as legal counsel for large, publically traded companies in complex commercial cases ranging for misappropriation of trade secrets to product liability
• Rising Star, Super Lawyers (2009-2013)
Super Lawyer, Mid-South Super Lawyers (2014-2019)
• Best Lawyer – Bankruptcy & Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency & Reorganization Law, The Best Lawyers in America (2011-2022)
• Best Lawyer – Commercial Litigation, The Best Lawyers in America (2023)
• Best Lawyer – Litigation – Bankruptcy, The Best Lawyers in America (2020 – 2023)