Prior to joining Thompson Burton, Jon spent 15 years as an attorney for the Metropolitan Government of Nashville and Davidson County. For six years, Jon practiced at the Metro Codes Department, rising to the position of the Metro Zoning Administrator. In that role, Jon oversaw the issuance of all building permits, interpretations of the Metro Zoning Code, and oversight of the work of the Board of Zoning Appeals as well as the Short Term Rental Board of Appeals. During the last year of that work, Jon’s team issued building permits for over $5.2 billion of new construction in Nashville.
During his years at the Metro Legal Department, Jon served as counsel for numerous agencies, departments, and commissions. That work generated key relationships within the Metro Planning, Metro Codes, Metro Water, the Nashville DOT and, most valuably, with members of the Metro Council. Further, Jon’s experience with the Metro Board of Zoning Appeals and Metro Planning Commission helps arm his clients with insight and strategy for the best approaches and best results in front of those bodies.
• Lipscomb University, B.A., cum laude, 1997
Political Science, Communications
Student Body President
• Pepperdine University, Master’s in Public Policy, 1999
International Relations and Economic Policy
• University of Tennessee College of Law, 2004
• Adjunct Professor, Lipscomb University’s Fred D. Gray Institute for Law Justice and Society
• Nashville Bar Association, CLE Instructor
• Tennessee Bar Association, CLE Instructor
• Healing Hands International, Volunteer
• Safe Haven, Inc., Volunteer
• Urban Land Institute, Member