William Hicky is a Partner at Thompson Burton in the commercial litigation practice group. He is a West Tennessee native, having been born and raised in Memphis. He graduated from the University of Mississippi in 2003 with a Bachelor of Business Administration degree and was a member of the National Society of Collegiate Scholars as well as on the Chancellor’s Honor Roll. Will also received his law degree from the University of Mississippi School of Law in 2006.
Will is admitted to practice in every State and Federal Court of Tennessee, including the Federal Bankruptcy Courts, Court of Federal Claims, 6th Circuit Court of Appeals, and Supreme Court of the United States.
He focuses in the areas of business and contract litigation, commercial debt collection, and construction litigation as well as personal injury and vaccine litigation. He has received an AV rating through Martindale-Hubbell’s peer review for maintaining the highest ethical standards and legal ability. He has been selected as a Super Lawyer consecutively each year since 2016.
Will is a member of the Tennessee and Nashville Bar Associations where he previously served as a Board Member on both Young Lawyers Divisions as the Professional Development Director (NBA) and Public Policy Liaison (TBA). He is also a past member of the Harry J. Phillips American Inn of Courts. He has been recognized as a leader among Tennessee lawyers when selected for inclusion in Tennessee Bar Association’s highly selective Leadership Law program as well as the Nashville Bar Foundation’s Leadership Forum. In 2019, Will was confirmed as a Fellow of the Nashville Bar Foundation.
Will has been long-active in the Nashville philanthropic community and has been named to the Nashville BAR Foundation’s Leadership Forum and one of Nashville’s Top 30 Under 30 by the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. Will lives in Green Hills with his beloved dog, Chance, who was certified as a “good boy” in 2016. In his free time, Will enjoys snow skiing, attending TPAC events, and cheering on the Titans.
• University Mississippi School of Law, J.D., 2006
• University of Mississippi, Bachelor of Business Administration, 2003
• All Tennessee State Courts
• U.S. District Court Middle District of Tennessee
• U.S. District Court Western District of Tennessee
• U.S. District Court Eastern District of Tennessee
• U.S. Bankruptcy Court: Middle District of Tennessee
• U.S. Bankruptcy Court: Western District of Tennessee
• U.S. Bankruptcy Court: Eastern District of Tennessee
• U.S. Court of Federal Claims
• Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals
• United States Supreme Court
• Tennessee Bar Association
• Nashville Bar Association
• Tennessee Trial Lawyers Association